While they look awesome, many drivers don’t know cab lights‘ purpose. They are legally mandated on specific vehicles, and if you’re wondering whether or not you need them, finding yourself asking “What are cab lights for on a truck?” there is more to it than meets the eye.
At RECON, we sell premier LED cab roof lights for Ford trucks, Dodge Rams, Chevy and GMC trucks, as well as the Hummer H2. Your truck may not meet the legal requirements to have cab lights installed by the manufacturer, which is where we come in. We have the best selection of aftermarket truck cab lights on the market, and they look way better than any OEM factory-installed part ever could.
Keep reading to learn more about cab lights’ purpose, and a quick bit about how to install truck cab lights at the end.
What Are Cab Lights for on a Truck?
Trucks over a certain size must have cab roof lights, as per the government. You frequently see them on large pick-up trucks, and tractor trailers. Trucks that are more than 80-inches wide are mandated to have cab roof lights.
The cab lights’ purpose is to alert oncoming traffic that an over-sized vehicle is approaching. This can be especially helpful at night on roads that are not very well lit, as well as on roads that do not have a median or divider. They can serve as a way to let drivers know it may be a good idea to move over to allow a safe amount of room for a truck to pass.
But, there are a few reasons to install truck cab lights even if the law does not require it.
Truck Cab Lights Enhance Your Look
When you check out the photos of RECON’s LED cab roof lights, you’ll see for yourself that they make your vehicle stand out. And, unlike when you get factory-installed truck cab lights, you have a variety of choices.
Personalize your truck to match your style. If you’re looking for amber lights, white lights, a smoked lens, or a clear lens, there are truck cab lights out there for you. If you’re in the process of upgrading your truck, there is no better time than now to install a set for the final touch of “wow.”
Your cab lights’ purpose will be to let everyone know you’re arriving in style, making a statement that you’re not like the rest. They’re great to show off at a local truck meet, but they’re also practical and functional. Truck cab lights give drivers the best of both worlds.
How to Install Truck Cab Lights
If your truck came with OEM factory-installed headlights, but they aren’t the look you’re going for, you can easily find a set to replace them. Most truck cab lights come with complete wiring kits and hardware and you will only need minor hand tools to complete an assembly.
But if your truck did not come with cab roof lights, that doesn’t mean that you have to go without. In fact, they will make a great upgrade to your truck and can transform your entire look, again, without any major work to your vehicle.
Buy a Complete Truck Cab Light Kit
Either way, we recommend making sure that the set you purchase does come with all the necessary parts. These parts include the light lenses, the light bulbs, the necessary wiring, and any hardware you will need to complete the installation. This way, you won’t have to go searching the internet for parts that you hope are compatible. You will have everything in one place once your order arrives.
Steps to Install Truck Cab Lights
When you buy at RECON, we supply customers with installation guides that break things down step-by-step and have technical support technicians that are available by phone to answer any questions you may have.
There are several key steps for how to install truck cab lights:
- If you already have OEM factory-installed lights, carefully remove all components.
- If you do not have OEM factory-installed lights, you will likely need to drill small holes in the top of your truck roof to fix the lights to the top securely and route wiring through the truck’s electrical system.
- Ensure that the roof of your truck is cleaned off, with no dirt, debris, or residue in the area you will be placing the lights.
- You will likely need to remove the interior fabric on the roof of your car in order to properly access the wiring.
- Make sure that you space the truck cab lights out at even intervals on your roof.
- Ensure that the truck cab lights are in the proper position- they should sit flat on your roof, not face out at a horizontal angle.
- If you have OEM factory-installed lights, you will know where to place your new, upgraded set.
- Once you have everything in position, ensure that you connect the wiring correctly, as per the instruction guide.
- Once everything is connected, turn the power on in your truck to ensure that each light is working properly, that there is no flickering, etc.
- If you chose strobing truck cab lights check the strobing function.
Choosing the Right Truck Cab Lights
Whether you need an installation for the legal cab lights’ purpose or are looking to make a statement with an aftermarket installation, there are several things to consider when choosing the right set.
We recommend purchasing a set with LED bulbs, as they will produce a brighter light that people will see further in the distance, compared to traditional OEM halogen or incandescent lightbulbs. Additionally, LED bulbs last much longer and are more durable so it’s less likely that you will have to replace them as frequently.
Select the color cab lights you would like, the type of lens (smoked or clear), as well as whether you would like them to have a strobing option. Here at RECON, we have them all.
Once you decide the look you’re going for, all that’s left to do is purchase. Complete the quick installation, and your truck will be lit in no time.