A common question we hear from fellow truck and SUV drivers here at RECON is regarding the benefits of LED lights. As a truck lover, you want the very best parts for your vehicle. From the major things like projector headlights down to the smallest details such as LED replacement bulbs, you want products that offer superior function and provide optimum style. LED lights benefits check off both of these boxes and the best news is that you can use them in a wide variety of your truck’s lighting components.
About LED Lights
Most drivers are familiar with halogen lights, which manufacturers have been using in trucks for many decades. LED lighting is slightly newer to the market and is rising in popularity. LED is an acronym for “light-emitting diode” and the technology was first discovered in 1907 by Oleg Losev, a Russian inventor. However, although published in the scientific community, the innovation did not catch on for mainstream use for many years to come.
Used in lamps, electronic devices, and technology equipment as early as the 1960s, the benefits of LED lights for automobiles were not recognized until 2004. The first auto manufacturer to incorporate their use was Audi, who used LEDs as daytime running lights in the 2006 A8. Lexus soon followed suit and shortly thereafter began using LEDs in the low beams on the 2006 LS 600h. Before long, countless vehicle manufacturers and aftermarket parts and accessory companies had LED lights available for drivers everywhere. These days, many drivers opt for LED installations over halogen bulbs of years past. There are many benefits of LED lights.
LED Lights: Benefits
Today, you will find LED lights in a wide variety of truck parts. From projector headlights to dome lights, flexible LED light strips to LED tail gate bars, and more. There are endless ways to customize your ride when selecting parts with LEDs and just as many benefits.
The top 20 benefits of LED lights include:
- Lifespan. LED lights last many times longer than traditional halogen light bulbs.
- Energy efficiency. LED lights require less power to operate compared to traditional bulbs, meaning that they put less stress on your truck’s battery and can potentially increase its lifespan. Some estimates state that using LED lights can improve your energy efficiency by as much as 75%.
- LED lights don’t emit heat, as traditional halogen or incandescent bulbs do. This makes them a safer option.
- LED lights come in a wide variety of colors. This allows you to customize elements on your truck such as under body and interior lighting. You can choose from colors such as red, blue, green, and so much more. Of course, you can always stick with a classic white LED light as well if you prefer.
- LED lights only emit light for 180-degrees, while traditional lights emit light for 360-degrees. This makes LED lights more focused and direct.
- LED lights turn on and off instantaneously. There is no warm-up period as with other lights.
- LED lights do not degrade or wear down due to frequent turning on and off.
- LED lights emit a light that is much brighter than traditional halogen bulbs.
- LED lights are safe for the environment and do not contain any mercury as other light sources may.
- LED lights do not produce UV emissions.
- LED lights work well in extreme temperatures, both hot and hold. Furthermore, exposure to these extreme temperatures does not compromise the integrity of the light or cause the bulb to degrade.
- LED lights are easy to install.
- Flexible LED light strips can be fixed virtually anywhere on your truck.
- LED lights are extremely durable, more impact resistant than halogen bulbs, and can withstand heavy vibrations. This makes them ideal for truck drivers who like to drive off-road, through the mud, woods, desert, or wherever your adventures may take you.
- Due to their long lifespan and great efficiency, one of the main benefits of LED lights is that they are a cost effective option for many drivers. Generally, LED lights do not require frequent replacement.
- LED lights are 100% recyclable.
- Conversion kits are available for trucks with traditional halogen lighting, which makes switching to LED lights simple and straight forward.
- LED lights increase your safety on the road, as they are visible much further in the distance due to their increased brightness. This can help reduce your chance of accidents, keeping both you and other drivers safe.
- Components and aftermarket truck parts may come decked out with features and the most innovative technology, such as a strobing or scanning function that draws attention to your vehicle.
- LED lights simply look awesome! They give your truck a modern appearance.
Aftermarket Truck Parts with LED Lights
The LED lights benefits seem endless, and naturally, drivers want them on as many of their truck parts and accessories as possible. They provide the ultimate design element, superior function, and are now widely available.
Aftermarket truck parts and accessories with LED lights include:
- Dome lights
- Flexible LED light strips
- Ambient interior lighting
- Tail lights
- Projector headlights
- Cab roof lights
- 3rd brake lights
- Tail gate bars
- Under body/rock lights
- Driving lights
- Bed and cargo lights
- Strobe lights
- Fog lights
- Turn signals
- Illuminated truck emblems
- Illuminated door sills
- And more
No matter what portion of your truck you are looking to upgrade, it is likely that you can reap the benefits of LED lights with the proper aftermarket part or accessory. You can give a truck that is years old a brand new look and have your truck looking like you just drove it fresh off the lot. Additionally, LED lights benefits include the ability to truly customize your ride. You can create a look that is like no other truck on the road.
The Lifespan of LED Lights
To put in perspective the incredible lifespan of LED lights, consider how much you use your bulbs. If you frequently drive at night or in poor weather, for instance, you may use them more than someone who does most of their driving during the day. Perhaps you work the night shift or live in an area that is prone to rain and snow. If this is the case, getting LED light installations is a definite must. They can last for years!
The average lifespan of an LED light bulb is approximately 50,000 hours. That means that if you leave an LED on around-the-clock, and never turn it off, it will last approximately six years. Of course, this will never be the case. What is even more impressive is that with these stats, if you use your LED lights just four hours a day they can last for as long as seventeen years. This makes LED lights the clear choice. The lifespan of a halogen bulb is estimated to be just 2,000 hours.
Cut Down on Maintenance Time
Due to the long lifespan, LED lights benefits include the ability to significantly cut down on maintenance time replacing old, burned out bulbs. When you install aftermarket truck or SUV parts and accessories with LED lights, you’ll be able to spend more time doing what you love, driving your truck, and less time hassling over finding the right replacement bulb.
Design the Truck of Your Dreams
Start customizing your truck today with aftermarket LED lights and accessories. You can create a truck that is entirely unique and sure to turn heads at the next local truck meet and when you’re out around town. An excellent way to do this is by using flexible LED light strips. You can choose from virtually any color and any length, and fix them wherever you want to see a pop of light on your vehicle.
You can light up your wheel wells, your cargo rails, your footwells, and so much more. All with long-lasting, durable, bright LED light strips. Then, you can add a major installation like a brand new set of projector headlights, LED tail lights with scanning turn signals, or strobing cab roof lights to your ride. You’ll have the benefits of LED lights on virtually every element of your truck, making it stylish and visible no matter what time of day it is or what the weather is like outside.
Shop RECON for LED Lights
By now you’re probably convinced that the benefits of LED lights are just too good and too plentiful to pass up, and we don’t blame you. If you’re ready to start decking out your ride with the very best in aftermarket LED truck lights, shop RECON today. You’ll find everything you need to give your truck a major upgrade, or fine tune the small details.
Additionally, RECON products are backed by a limited warranty so your purchase will be free of worry. And, we have a dedicated technical support team standing by to take your phone calls Monday through Friday from 9 am until 5 pm Eastern Standard Time should you ever have any questions regarding the installation process or function of your LED lights. Get ready to GET LIT and shop RECON today!